How to Recognize, Avoid and Recover from Shiny Object Syndrome
It happens to all of us. We set a goal…whether it be to start a profitable business, lose weight or save money…and then suddenly something interesting with big promises captures our attention and keeps us from staying focused on our goals. These are shiny objects and they are a killer of productivity and success.
Hey, I’m Alice Seba from Publish for Prosperity and through working with my clients and customers over the past 16 years, I’ve seen this firsthand, but luckily I’ve got some tips to help you avoid those pesky shiny objects.
Here's an Excerpt from Our Minimize to Maximize Training That Addresses This Issue…
This is all about saying no too (which we learned about earlier in the training), but this time it’s usually to yourself.
Shiny Objects are where we lose our focus on our career, business, health or just about any type of goal. We see something that looks like a great idea and we totally veer off in a different direction, usually never following through on what we planned.
- You buy training programs that promise you instant riches or quick ways to make more money, even though they aren’t part of your original plan.
- You get sucked into a new diet product that promises to end your cravings and get you results effortlessly.
Following through often doesn’t happen:
- Because we are excited about the idea at first, but then it fizzles out.
- It’s not in line with what our goals are.
- We overwhelm ourselves with too many ideas and possibilities.
- We overwhelm ourselves with too much in our schedule because we can’t get everything done.
- And let’s face it, a lot shiny objects are just plain old lies.
- Set your goals and know where you really want to go. Only do things that are in line with those goals. For example, in my business I see a lot of other business owners get distracted with brand new marketing techniques or entirely different business ideas that completely take their focus away from what they’ve steadily been building.
- If you seem to get distracted when things seem to be taking longer than you want, set smaller goals and reward yourself for those milestones. Rewards will depend on what you achieved and shouldn’t sabotage your goal (like a big piece of cake after losing 5 pounds), but just nice things you do for yourself. I like to take myself out to lunch, see movies etc.
- Be more discerning. Never buy on impulse. Do your research and take time to think. Limited time offers are good for the people selling, but not for you because they cause you to make impulsive decisions.
- Get an accountability partner…and better yet an accountability partner who is skeptical. Discuss your new ideas and potential shiny objects with the before you jump in. Be there for each other and look out for one another’s best interests.
- Eliminate distractions that bring these shiny objects to you. If you’re on a ton of health lists or follow a bunch of people on social media that are always pulling you this way and that…turn them off.
- Investing in yourself and improving yourself is a good idea, but realize that when you keep spending money on these shiny objects, you’re making yourself work harder and you’re putting your time freedom out of balance. Invest wisely and you’ll keep growing…but do it willy nilly and you’ll find yourself broke or in debt.
- The only way to actually achieve your goals is through consistency, hard work and staying on track. It’s not easy to build a business. It’s not easy to get your career to exactly where you want it. There are no shortcuts to losing weight and getting healthy. Sometimes that’s a hard pill to swallow, but it will serve you much better than actual diet pill.
If you screw up:
It is not the end of the world and we all make mistakes. The important thing is to learn from them and course correct to get back on track. This is always key. Be patient, stay consistent and let results come. When you sabotage yourself, recognize it and get back to your plan.
What to Do Next: Minimize to Maximize Your Life and Your Client's Lives Too
This video is just a small excerpt from a Q&A session of our Minimize to Maximize Your Life subject matter expert training, where we not only show you how to simplify your life for more contentment and success...but we also train you, so that you can teach the method to your own customers.
We've created all the training materials for you. All you have to do is listen to a few training sessions, so you can be the subject matter expert and confidently deliver this high ticket training program to your students. Or if you don't want to deliver the training yourself, you can use the recordings, transcripts and notes from our training and turn that into an instant online course for your customers.
It’s a super easy way to get immersed in selling high-ticket training products…without having to do all the hard work.
The coupon code above will save you 20% and is the perfect way to get started in learning a way to stop cluttering your life stress and get to success much faster...AND allow you to share that same system with your clients and customers, creating your own high ticket training program in the process. Click here to get started.
We look forward to having you join us.
To your great success,
Your Partner in Easy Product Creation